The direct application of a controlled dangerous substance, whether by injection, inhalation, ingestion, or any other means, to the body of a patient or research subject by: (1) a practitioner (or, in his presence, by his lawfully authorized agent), or (2) the patient or research subject at the lawful direction and in the presence of the practitioner.
An authorized person who acts on behalf of or at the direction of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser but does not include a common or contract carrier, public warehouseman, or employee thereof.
The Commissioner of Health.
Controlled dangerous substance
A drug, substance, or immediate precursor in Schedules I through V of article 2 of P.L.1970, c.226 (C.24:21-1 et seq.). The term shall not include distilled spirits, wine, malt beverages, tobacco or tobacco products.
A controlled dangerous substance which, or the container or labeling of which, without authorization, bears the trademark, trade name, or other identifying mark, imprint, number or device, or any likeness thereof, of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser other than the person or persons who in fact manufactured, distributed, or dispensed such substance and which thereby falsely purports or represented itself as the product of, or distributed by, such other manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser.
Deliver or delivery
The Director of the Division of Consumer Affairs in the Department of Law and Public Safety.
To deliver a controlled dangerous substance to an ultimate user or research subject by or pursuant to the lawful order of a practitioner, including the prescribing, administering, packaging, labeling, or compounding necessary to prepare the substance for that delivery. Dispenser means a practitioner who dispenses.
The Division of Consumer Affairs in the Department of Law and Public Safety.
Drug Enforcement Administration
The Drug Enforcement Administration in the United States Department of Justice.
- recognized in the official United States Pharmacopoeia, official Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States, or official National Formulary, or any supplement to any of them; and
- intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in man or other animals; and
- other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals; and
- intended for use as a component of any article specified in subsections (a), (b), and (c) of this section; but does not include devices or their components, parts or accessories.
Drug dependent person
A person who is using a controlled dangerous substance and who is in a state of psychic or physical dependence, or both, arising from the use of that controlled dangerous substance on a continuous basis. Drug dependence characteristics consist of behavioral and other responses, including but not limited to a strong compulsion to take the substance on a recurring basis in order to experience its psychic effects, or to avoid the discomfort of its absence.
The resin extracted from any part of the plant Genus Cannabis L. and any compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of such resin.
All parts of the plant Genus Cannabis L., whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant or its seeds, except those containing resin extracted from the plant; but shall not include the mature stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of such mature stalks, fiber, oil, or cake, or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.
The production, preparation, propagation, compounding, conversion, or processing of a controlled dangerous substance, either directly or by extraction from substances of natural origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis, and includes any packaging or repackaging of the substance or labeling or relabeling of its container, except that this term does not include the preparation or compounding of a controlled dangerous substance by an individual for his own use or the preparation, compounding, packaging, or labeling of a controlled dangerous substance: (1) by a practitioner as an incident to his administering or dispensing of a controlled dangerous substance in the course of his professional practice, or (2) by a practitioner (or under his supervision) for the purpose of, or as an incident to, research, teaching, or chemical analysis and not for sale.
Any of the following, whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:
- Opium, coca leaves, and opiates;
- A compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, or preparation of opium, coca leaves, or opiates;
- A substance (and any compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, or preparation thereof) chemically identical with any of the substances referred to in subsections (a) and (b), except that the words narcotic drug as used in this act shall not include decocainized coca leaves or extracts of coca leaves, which extracts do not contain cocaine or ecgonine.
Official written order
An order written on a form provided for that purpose by the Attorney General of the United States or his delegate, under any laws of the United States making provisions therefor, if federal law authorizes and requires such order forms, and if no such form is provided, then on an official form provided for that purpose by the division. If authorized by the Attorney General of the United States or the division, the term shall also include an order transmitted by electronic means.
Any dangerous substance having an addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability similar to morphine or being capable of conversion into a drug having such addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability. It does not include, unless specifically designated as controlled under section 3 of this act, the dextrorotatory isomer of 3-methoxy-n-methylmorphinan and its salts (dextromethorphan). It does include its racemic and levorotatory forms.
The plant of the species Papaver somniferum L., except the seeds thereof.
Any corporation, association, partnership, trust, other institution or entity, or one or more individuals.
A registered pharmacist of this State.
The owner of a store or other place of business where controlled dangerous substances are compounded or dispensed by a registered pharmacist; but nothing in this chapter contained shall be construed as conferring on a person who is not registered or licensed as a pharmacist any authority, right, or privilege that is not granted to him by the pharmacy laws of this State.
All parts, except the seeds, of the opium poppy, after mowing.
A physician, dentist, veterinarian, scientific investigator, laboratory, pharmacy, hospital, or other person licensed, registered, or otherwise permitted to distribute, dispense, conduct research with respect to, or administer a controlled dangerous substance in the course of professional practice or research in this State.
- Physician means a physician authorized by law to practice medicine in this or any other state and any other person authorized by law to treat sick and injured human beings in this or any other state.
- Veterinarian means a veterinarian authorized by law to practice veterinary medicine in this State.
- Dentist means a dentist authorized by law to practice dentistry in this State.
- Hospital means any federal institution, or any institution for the care and treatment of the sick and injured, operated or approved by the appropriate State department as proper to be entrusted with the custody and professional use of controlled dangerous substances.
- Laboratory means a laboratory to be entrusted with the custody of narcotic drugs and the use of controlled dangerous substances for scientific, experimental, and medical purposes and for purposes of instruction approved by the Department of Health.
Includes the manufacture, planting, cultivation, growing, or harvesting of a controlled dangerous substance.
A substance which the division has found to be and by regulation designates as being the principal compound commonly used or produced primarily for use, and which is an immediate chemical intermediary used or likely to be used in the manufacture of a controlled dangerous substance, the control of which is necessary to prevent, curtail, or limit such manufacture.
The State of New Jersey.
A person who lawfully possesses a controlled dangerous substance for his own use or for the use of a member of his household or for administration to an animal owned by him or by a member of his household.