Drunk Driving Collateral Consequences
I blogged previously about the direct consequences for DWI before and after statutory amendments took effect on December 1, 2019. Nevertheless, DUI carries the penalties a judge must impose and also drunk driving collateral consequences. A list of drunk driving collateral consequences includes but is not limited to:
- No Expungement of Motor Vehicle Record
- Out-of-State Licensee—Report to Home Jurisdiction
- Civil Consequences of Guilty Plea
- Motor Vehicle Commission Surcharges
- Motor Vehicle Points on Companion Moving Violations
- Sentence Enhancement for Future Violations:
- Insurance Eligibility Points
- Loss of Ability to Purchase Liability Insurance
- Restriction on Vanity & Courtesy License Plates
- Restriction on Lawsuit for Economic & Non-Economic Damages
- Additional Fees and Expenses Payable to State Agencies
- Other Collateral Consequences
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. If you need legal assistance please contact and hire a lawyer. Before making your choice of attorney, you should certainly give this matter careful thought. The selection of an attorney is an important decision.
Did the cops charge you with DWI?
New Jersey Criminal Lawyer Michael A. Smolensky, Esquire, knows how to protect his clients. Mr. Smolensky can provide confidential consultations in all cases involving Drunk Driving, Refusal, and any other offense under the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Code.